I have never been a porridge kinda girl but this is hands down the best porridge I have ever eaten. It has revolutionised my breakfast repertoire!
This recipe is from Vital Veda and I highly recommend you follow Dylan Smith on social media and listen to the Vital Veda podcast he shares a wealth of knowledge that your body, mind and soul will love you for.
Ayurvedic Porridge Ingredients:
- Oats, coarse semolina, rice flakes or quinoa flakes – 1/3 – 1/2 cup
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp raw sugar (optional)
- handful of raisins/sultanas
- handful of one type of crushed nuts (almonds, macadamia or cashew)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Put ghee in a pot, let it heat.
- Add 1/3 – 1/2 cup of coarse semolina or oats or rice flakes or quinoa flakes etc.
- Toast (fry) grains in the ghee to infuse ghee into the grains. – this lightens the grains and makes them easier to digest.
- Add approx. 1-cup of boiling water, stir and cook. – Be aware of porridge splatter, continually stir to avoid lumps and splatter.
- Add 1 tsp or tbsp of raw sugar (optional) + handful of raisins + handful of soaked and crushed almonds or cashews (optional for more protein and a filling breakfast) and stir.
- Add some cows milk (optional). If adding milk can initially add less boiling water.
- Add 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon powder + 1/4-1/2 tsp cardamom powder (cardamom and cinnamon removes morning sluggishness).